In this post you can learn how to make an easy moussaka in the slow cooker or crockpot. While this is an easier version than the traditional Moussaka recipe rest assured it tastes just as good.
Moussaka has always been my favourite
Moussaka has always been one of my favourite meals but when it comes to making it I never seem to have the dedication or time to actually make it from scratch, it’s always the bechamel that really draws out the entire process.
Although to be fair I haven’t tried making it from scratch since I was in my late teens and my cooking from scratch skills have improved somewhat since then. Maybe I shouldn’t be so quick to write it off.
However in my desire to eat my favourite meal but with less all day cooking dedication, I decided to figure out how to make an easier version that still tasted just as good. I started creating and trying different recipes back in 2020. I only remember that in acute detail because:
- It was mid pandemic.
- My dad was staying with us after heart surgery.
- I was pregnant with my son.
Recently we placed an order with the Ethical Butcher. If you’ve never heard of them, I urge you to check them out if you are passionate about eating quality meat from regenerative agriculture. The box we chose (the freezer box) included lamb mince so it really encouraged me to get back into making moussaka.
It was time to try slow cooker moussaka
We’re huge slow cooker people here, there is nothing quite like throwing all the ingredients in in the morning while I have my coffee and come back 8 hours later to a fully cooked dinner.
When I got the lamb mince the first thing I thought was that it was time to try a slow cooker moussaka, and it’s not often I hit gold, but this recipe was literally perfect first time. So today I want to share with you how you can make a really simple moussaka in your slow cooker or crockpot. All you need is a few simple ingredients to make this easy peasy recipe, and let your slow cooker do the hard work.
What you need
- Lamb Mince
- Tinned tomatoes
- Onion granules
- Dried rosemary
- Dried Cinnamon
- Mixed spice
Easy Moussaka in the slow cooker
The Main Event
- 450 g Lamb mince
- 400 g Tinned tomatoes
- 2 Potatoes
- 1 Aubergine
- 1 tbsp Onion Granules
- 1 tbsp Rosemary
- 0.5 tbsp Cinnamon
- 0.5 tbsp Mixed Spice
- 0.5 tbsp Nutmeg
- 0.5 tbsp Sage
- 0.5 tbsp Oregano
- 300 ml Sour Cream
- 60 g Grated cheddar cheese
- 0.5 tbsp Nutmeg
- In a saute pan fry your mince until brown.
- In a separate bowl add your tinned tomatoes with all of the herbs and spices and mix together.
- When the mince is cooked, add to the tomatoes and mix together.
- Sliced a potato thinly and placed at the bottom of the slow cooker, covering the bottom fully.
- Using half of the lamb mince mixture spread it in a layer over the top of the potato.
- Slice your aubergine and lay the slices on top of the lamb mince mixture.
- Next, add the other half of the lamb mince mixture spread it evenly.
- Add another layer of sliced potato across the top.
- In a bowl add your sour cream, remaining nutmeg and most of your grated cheese and mix together.
- Spread the sour cream mixture across the potato layer so it is fully covered.
- Top with a sprinkle of grated cheese.
- Cook in slow cooker on high for 4 hours and medium for another 4.
What you’ll end up with is the most perfectly cooked moussaka, with soft potato and a wonderful taste. So if you’re a moussaka fan, or whether you are trying it for the first time, this simple recipe will have you coming back time and time again.