A Quorn Vegetarian Alternative?
If I had a signature dish it would definitely be parmesan crusted chicken, over the years it is definitely something I have tried in a number of different ways. Given that my husband is a vegetarian and this is my signature dish, I had to find ways in which I could adapt this recipe to suit his dietary needs too, all it took was a few minor adjustments and this typically meat dish can be adapted for vegetarians.
Now I should note here that to complete this dish I did have to use quorn replacement products as this is the best way to create a like for like dish. If you are vegetarian and you have a suggestion for this dish which doesn’t include replacement products then I would love to hear from you, please leave me a comment and if you have a link to your recipe please leave that two. Right, let’s get on with the recipe.
- Two quorn fillets.
- Lemon juice.
- Egg, beaten.
- Cheddar cheese (we use lactose free cheese but you can use any type of medium cheese. Hard cheeses are more difficult to come by as many are not vegetarian friendly, but if you know of a vegetarian friendly hard cheese it would work very well in this dish).
- Add lemon juice to a plate.
- Whisk egg and add to another plate.
- Add your crackers to a ziplock bag until they form breadcrumbs.
- Grate you’re cheese and add this into a ziplock bag as well, insuring the bread crumbs and cheese mixed together.
- Take your quorn fillet and role in the lemon juice.
- Then do the same and the egg.
- Cover a baking tray with foil or parchment paper.
- Place your Quorn fillet on the baking tray.
- Cover the fillets with the breadcrumb cheese mix.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes on 200 degrees C.
- Serve with sour cream and sweet chilli dipping sauce.
This recipe is a fantastic take on the original parmesan chicken recipe. Baking the Quorn fillets in the oven for a short time keep them moist and locks in all the flavour from the crust. You can serve these fillets with sour cream and sweet chilli dipping sauce, and it also tastes great with buttered new potatoes and either vegetables or a fresh salad.